Friday, September 26, 2008

The Awakening






















Finally things fell into place.

I walked on... past the old banyan tree... past the gurgling creek... past one-legged Velu's cabin... across Orange Avenue... and your house.

Images flash by, blurred and fleeting at first and then clear as reality- glimpses of the past. Of you and me. Holding hands, in the shade of the banyan tree. I can see my face lit up like a thousand suns. Never had I looked happier. I can hear our laughter resonating through the rippling water as we splash each other playfully. I can feel you trickling droplets down my spine and it still gives me faint shivers. And to escape from you I had run across to one-legged Velu's cabin. Poor Velu had died few years ago. And no one lived there since, which was good for us. It was our own sweet refuge.

More flashbacks. Of Orange Avenue, and your house. The red bricks which I will never forget. You and me at the porch, holding hands. Suddenly your mother's voice sounds in the background and we scamper to our refuge. I can still smell the scent of your cologne in the midsummer afternoon.

And then one fine day how things had changed. Appa got transferred and we had to move out. You promised me that you would write every week. Five years had passed since. Thirty mails from me. None from you.

Today I was back. Appa had got a transfer to the same town again. Of course the first thing I did was to come and see you. I stood in front of your house, thinking hard, what to do, how to call you again. How to tell you how much I had missed you. My heart was racing as I wondered how you looked. Had you changed, would you recognize me?

The door opened and two people came out. You looked a shade older and a trifle taller. I realized then that the boy I knew was lost forever. Hand in hand with you was a pretty young woman. I looked at your face which was lit up like a thousand suns. You had never looked happier before. And finally things fell into place. Things that had never made sense before.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That is soooooo touching.
Reading this flooded me with the memories of sights, sounds and smells of so many things we have left behind in order to travel light.
Miss A Roy on the make..........you should write more of these, really. Keep em flowing.

kriti said...

this was very well written!!!

poetry in prose...

Puranjoy said...

"Miss A Roy on the make"--praise or condemnation!
Yet another home run!
-huhmdi

kriti said...

was hoping that the ending would be a little different... maybe the guy died or had a tragic accident... that way guy-dom's honor would have been maintained...

neways the literary touch at the end ("thousand suns") was good...

i see that biggest critic has become erstwhile biggest critic now... hmmmm position vacant!!!

bornfree said...

@ Felicity
Thanks a lot !! I dont think I am a big fan of A Roy ...but thats a huge compliment :P

@ Kriti
Yeah...actually it had started as poetry but then it was turning too verbose, so I had to change it to prose. And about guy-dom's honor...ahem !! :P

@ Puranjoy
Thanks :)

kaushik said...

hey!
Nice stories and poems!

Came here from kriti's blog!

Keep writing :)

Cheers!
Kaushik

bornfree said...

@Kaushik
Thanks a lot ! :)